Flooring is an important part of any home. Choosing the right flooring type is important as it adds aesthetic sense to your house and provides the right functionality. There are many different types of flooring options that you can choose from. This article provides insights into the different types of floorings and their pros and cons to letting you choose the best one for you.
Ceramic tiles have emerged as a popular flooring choice. They are suitable for use in any part of the home including the kitchen and bathrooms. These tiles add visual appeal to the house with their aesthetic design and glossy finish.
- Ceramic tiles come in a lot of designs, colors, and patterns. You can choose based on your interiors and preferences.
- They are highly scratch-resistant and are best for homes that have children and pets.
- The tiles can be replaced individually. If one section of the flooring is damaged, there is no need to redo the entire flooring.
- Ceramic tile flooring is not too expensive and will cost you $7-$20 per sq. foot.
- It is very easy to clean ceramic tile floorings and they are germ-resistant too.
- The tiles become cold and are not comfortable to stand for long periods, especially in winters or cold climate.
- These tiles require regular sealing to look like new.
- Ceramic tiles are very slippery. You should consider guiding children and elderly in your home if you have this flooring installed.
Vinyl flooring is a low-cost alternative. You get a wide variety of choices while choosing vinyl floorings. Due to their versatility, ease of installation, and affordable pricing, vinyl floorings have become very popular these days.
- Vinyl flooring is very easy to install. It can be done quickly. You also get self-adhesive vinyl in the market where you can remove their backing and press them evenly on the floor.
- This flooring is water-resistant and easy to clean. You can clean it easily using a broom and a mop.
- If the floor becomes stained, you can use a little soap and water to clean it.
- Vinyl flooring comes in plenty of design choices. You can choose from numerous designs, colors, textures, etc. that match with your décor.
- It is very affordable. You do not have to spend a fortune to get rich and premium flooring look and feel.
- Vinyl flooring is not very durable. Its longevity is less than hardwood and marble flooring.
- Chemicals are generally used to manufacture vinyl flooring. During installation, vinyl flooring can release volatile organic compounds (VOC), that are harmful to your health.
- It is not possible to repair vinyl flooring if a section of it is damaged. You will have to take out the entire flooring and install a new one.
Hardwood floors are one of the most elegant and popular floorings. They have gained immense popularity recently. It provides a stunning natural look and timeless feel that makes it very attractive. Oak, maple, cherry, walnut, etc. are some of the most common woods used for hardwood flooring.
- Hardwood flooring should not only be seen as an aesthetic addition to the home. They should also be perceived as an investment. Homes with hardwood flooring have high resale value.
- You can choose from many finishes and gradients while installing hardwood flooring.
- Hardwood flooring creates excellent insulation.
- The biggest drawback of hardwood flooring is its cost. They are costlier than most other types of flooring. Most people find it difficult to install hardwood flooring in their entire house and limit it to their living space.
- Hardwood flooring is not too durable. It is vulnerable to scratches, dents, water damages, etc.
- You may have to refinish the hardwood flooring every 5 years that is costly.
- Hardwood flooring is not suitable in places like the kitchen and bathroom as they can be damaged by the moisture. They should also be avoided in outdoors as they will be regularly exposed to water and other natural elements, that can cause damage.
If you find wooden flooring beyond your budget, then laminate flooring provides an excellent alternative. It provides the same elegant finish and feel of wooden flooring at a much reasonable price. Some laminates resemble aged wooden flooring.
- The installation process is very easy and quick.
- Laminate flooring is cost-effective. It can cost you between $3-$8 per sq. foot which is much lesser than wooden flooring.
- There are a wide variety of designs available in laminate flooring. You can choose based on your tastes and requirements.
- Laminates are very easy to maintain and low-cost flooring alternatives. You only need to sweep and mop the floor occasionally to keep it well-maintained and like new.
- Laminates are water-resistant but they can get damaged when exposed to water regularly. Due to this, laminate flooring cannot be used in places like the bathroom and open spaces where they will be exposed to water.
- Some laminates can release harmful chemicals like formaldehyde which are a result of their manufacturing process.
- Laminate flooring requires more frequent replacement than hardwood flooring that can prove costly in the long run.
Marble is a high-end flooring material. It comes in a wide variety of gradients and finishes. You get a glossy and elegant finish with marble flooring.
- Marble adds luxury and class to your home.
- Marble floors can be regularly polished to keep them looking like new.
- Another advantage of marble flooring is that it remains cool in high temperatures.
- Cleaning it is easy and does not require much time.
- Getting marble flooring installed increases the real estate value.
- Getting marble flooring installed is a time taking and labor-intensive work. It is also costlier compared to most other flooring types. Marble flooring can cost you between $20-$50 per sq. foot.
- The flooring can get scratched and stained easily. Marble can react when it comes in contact with acidic substances that can damage the flooring.
- It is slippery and can be dangerous to walk, especially for children and old people.
- If water is left standing on marble, it can leach inside as marble has high porosity. This can cause discoloration and lead to other damages.
Concrete flooring is versatile and can be used in different spaces. It adds warmth and colors to your interiors and is a durable flooring option.
- Concrete flooring is highly durable. Once completed, they can last for a long time.
- It is scratch-resistant and retains its look for longer compared to other flooring options.
- Concrete flooring has good insulation properties. If you live in a hot climate, then concrete flooring can make your home cooler.
- You get a flat and smooth floor surface with concrete. It is easier to clean it. Concrete floors also require minimal maintenance.
- It is not combustible; hence, concrete flooring adds to the fire-resistance of your home.
- The concrete floor is cost-effective. It may cost you $5-1$15 per square foot.
- If any part of the flooring gets damaged, it is difficult to repair.
- The acoustics of the room is affected as the sound is not absorbed by concrete, rather, it bounces off it.
- It can be uncomfortable to stand for long periods due to its hardness.